Thursday, December 2, 2010

When does the fun part start?

It has been a little over a month since my husband left for OTS. For the past fews years as I struggled attending college full time and working full time, my family would often remind me that it was going to get better. I have since graduated college and so far no luck. I am still stuck doing a minimum wage, degrading kind of a job and I starting was wonder why I spent all that money in the first place. Okay, so at the present moment I am in a transitional phase in my life. My husband and I are moving to Florida in February and I understand that 3 months is not enough time to start my career here in NH.

I wish I hadn't given up my apartment. My husband and I made a deal that if I moved in with his family I could leave my current job and / or work less because of the money we would be saving. I thought this would be the easiest 3 months of my life. I could lay low, not worry about finances, dream of the day that my husband comes home to me and we move to sunny Florida.

Instead, I am in living in a small house with his Aunt and Uncle. They are nice, but after living on your own for a few years it's hard to go back. Sometimes you just want to be completely and utterly alone and you can't be when you live with relatives. The finance thing isn't really working out in my favor either. Although we are making more money than we ever have (and by "we" I primarily mean my husband) my husband seems far more stressed than usual when I talk to him on the phone. I think maybe his focus is more on the large amount of students loans we have and less on what are getting our relatives for the holidays. I don't like feeling guilt when I purchase things which is why I desperately want my own career in my own field. I'm just not sure when that is going to happen.

It's all so new. The few times I am able to talk to Husband he always seems in a bad mood as though I am bothering him in some way. My bad day never compares to his bad day at OTS and I get that, but it shouldn't discount everything I may be going through. Sometimes I think what if he gave up his career to follow mine? What if he was living with my family while I was away? What if I was making the money and he had to feel uncomfortable knowing that he was barely contributing?

I would love to ask these questions but I know right now they wouldn't make a difference. I want to enjoy this new experience in our lives but so far nothing exceptionally good has happened. I thought this would make us stronger and long for each other's arms but instead we both just seem agitated. I truly hope that things change for the better.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, don't start the comparing bad days game. It never ends well. I hope his mood starts improving. I don't know if I could move in with family again (mine is great, but I just like living alone too much), which is the main reason we decided I'd stay in our (rental) house for the duration of the deployment. Good luck! It's funny I often wonder what our lives would look like if my husband followed my career. Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although his family is wonderful, once we move again I will NOT be going back to living with family. I've lived on my own (joyous) and I've lived with family (less than ideal..) so I think I know my "cans" and "cannots" now.

    ReplyDelete