Thursday, December 9, 2010

Family, can't live with em, can't live without em

I would like to start by saying that there are members of my family that I truly love and respect. Here comes the dreaded however....However, none of these family members have ever been in the military. I have never been in the military or affiliated with the military before. Some of my family members are not just giving advice about things they really know nothing about but actually trying to make a day by day plan of how our next move will go, including hotel stays, move in dates, etc. Now, I am thankful that I have family members who care enough about me to take time out of their days to come up with charts (yes, an actual chart on a calendar) for me , but unfortunately I am discovering that the military doesn't work that way. I think it is very important to have a basic and general idea of your travels ahead, but I know that setting something in stone (airplane tickets, lease dates etc) isn't entirely possible especially a few months ahead.

My husband told me last night to tell our family HOLD EVERYTHING! His graduation date may be pushed back due to a few members of a particular flight team. This already completely changes the plan that my family has set up for me.

I am learning that sometime the military needs to have things done when they say it must be done...and then other times they are very vague. This can be frustrating on it's own but the frustration is nearly tripled when family members continue to tell me how I am not planning appropriately when they have never had a military move themselves.

I am thankful that they have been here to support me but I am happier knowing that his will be the last "major plan" put forth by all my family members. From here on out I will be living across the country from them and be deciding on my own what is best for my husband and I (of course he will have some say as well :) ). In some ways, it can be a little bit scary...but in other ways in seems incredibly liberating!

1 comment:

  1. It's usually a give-and-take with the military: you give, it takes. You need to meet every single one of their deadlines, but they have absolutely no reason to meet a deadline they give you. The other week I got a letter in the mail dated a month earlier than the postmark on the envelope. Nevermind that this had instruction on how to get over 400 bucks of our money back. Sigh. Oi vey. Good luck!
    And yes... the fam should back off.

    ReplyDelete